What Silent Book Club is Reading: August 2018
One of the things I look forward to every month is the Columbus, Ohio chapter of Silent Book Club meeting. Everyone brings their own book and reads together quietly for an hour, then we all nerd out about books afterward. If you're in the area, you should come hang out with us!
Normally, we meet on the second Tuesday of every month, but since I was on my honeymoon out of the country on the second Tuesday in August, we met on the fourth Tuesday instead, just this once. We met at Tim Hortons because it's officially pumpkin spice latte season! (I'm basic; no shame.)
We kick off the meeting with a quick round of introductions where everyone says their name and a little about what they're reading. I always take notes and post the full book list the next day.
It's a great way for everyone to learn about books they might like and I've picked up several books I loved based on what people were reading and recommended to the group.
Here's what the group is reading this month:
- From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty
- The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For by Alison Bechdel
- Calm Energy: How People Regulate Mood with Food and Exercise by Robert Thayer
- The Boy In the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
- Testimonios: Early California through the Eyes of Women, 1815–1848 by Rose Marie Beebe
- Landline by Rainbow Rowell
- Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire
- Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage
- The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide To Personal Finance And Investing by James Dahle
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
- Perdido Street Station by China Miéville
- Looking for Spinoza: Joy, Sorrow, and the Feeling Brain by António R. Damásio
- Murder in Belleville by Cara Black
- The Children of Húrin by JRR Tolkien
- Our House by Louise Candlish
- The Complete Essays of Michel de Montaigne
- Okay Fine Whatever: The Year I Went from Being Afraid of Everything to Only Being Afraid of Most Things by Courtenay Hameister
- The Memory Man by David Baldacci
- Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman
- Ethic by Ashley Antoinette
- Once Upon a Country: A Palestinian Life by Sari Nusseibeh
There are Silent Book Club chapters throughout and US and several around the world, so if you're not in Columbus, OH, check the events on the SBC website to find one near you!