What Silent Book Club is Reading: July 2018
One of the things I look forward to every month is the Columbus, Ohio chapter of Silent Book Club meeting. Everyone brings their own book and reads together quietly for an hour, then we all nerd out about books afterward. If you're in the area, you should come hang out with us!
This month we tried to read outside at the Park of Roses, but we got rained out and ended up going to Raising Cane's instead. It might sound like an odd spot for a book club, but we've been there several times and we love it!
We kick off the meeting with a quick round of introductions where everyone says their name and a little about what they're reading. I always take notes and post the full book list the next day.
It's a great way for everyone to learn about books they might like and I've picked up several books I loved based on what people were reading and recommended to the group.
Here's what the group is reading this month:
- People In the Room by Norah Lange
- Coming Into the Country by John McPhee
- Anti-Oedipus by Félix Guattari and Gilles Deleuze
- Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
- The Running Man by Stephen King
- Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee
- What the Truth Sounds Like: Robert F. Kennedy, James Baldwin, and Our Unfinished Conversation About Race in America by Michael Eric Dyson
- The Final Cut by Catherine Coulter
- Scourged by Kevin Hearne
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones
- You Know Me Well by Nina LaCoeur and David Levithan
- The Jealousy Cure: Learn to Trust, Overcome Possessiveness, and Save Your Relationship by Robert Leahy
- Dear Mrs. Bird by AJ Pearce
- The Entitlement Cure: Finding Success in a Culture of Entitlement by John Townsend
- Broke Millennial: Stop Scraping by and Get Your Financial Life Together by Erin Lowery
- Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins
- Theft by Finding by David Sedaris
- Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin
There are Silent Book Club chapters throughout and US and several around the world, so if you're not in Columbus, OH, check the events on the SBC website to find one near you!