What Silent Book Club is Reading This Month: May 2018
Y'all, I'm such a doofus! Here it is June and I forgot to post what Silent Book Club read in May. Fret not, these reads are timeless.
If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's the scoop. Silent Book Club is an international book club with chapters all over the place. I started the one in my city, Columbus, Ohio. It's a book club without an assigned book––everyone shows up, brings whatever they're currently reading, and we all hang out together afterward and nerd out about books. So you get the fun of a book club without the homework!
We kick off the meeting with a quick round of introductions where everyone says their name and a little about what they're reading. I always take notes and post the full book list the next day.
It's a great way for everyone to learn about books they might like and I've picked up several books I loved based on what people were reading and recommended to the group.
Here's what the group is reading this month:
- Against Memoir: Complaints, Confessions, Criticisms by Michelle Tea
- The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
- The Sea Beast Takes a Lover by Michael Andreasen
- Ecological Imperialism: The Biological Expansion of Europe, 900-1900 (Studies in Environment and History) by Alfred W. Crosby
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
- Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones
- One Long Night: A Global History of Concentration Camps by Andrea Pitzer
- On Tyranny: 20 Lessons from the 20th Century by Timothy Snyder
- Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
- The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Dr. Oliver Sacks
- Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
- Only Yesterday: An Informal History of the 1920's by Frederick Lewis Allen
- The Mayflower: The Families, the Voyage, and the Founding of America by Rebecca Fraser
- The Expats by Chris Pavone
- The Yamas Niyamas: Exploring Yoga's Ethical Practice by Deborah Adele
- Love and War by John Jakes (North and South trilogy)
- Mirror Image by Michael Scott
- History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon
- Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- Stephen Fry in America by Stephen Fry
- Lost at Sea by Bryan Lee O'Malley
There are Silent Book Club chapters throughout and US and several around the world, so if you're not in Columbus, OH, check the events on the SBC website to find one near you!