My name is Amanda Shunnarah from Columbus, OH.
I love my country and I'm concerned for its fate. I fear this country, which has always had strong, democratic leadership, will be taken over by an unqualified demagogue who took up politics as a hobby last year.
If you didn't love this country, too, you wouldn't have wanted to be electors. We the people have entrusted our fate to you and I implore you to vote in the way that is best for all people in this country.
Please hear a few of my many concerns:
- Hillary won the popular vote. She is who the people want.
- A group of election lawyers and computer scientists suspect voting results in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania have been manipulated in Trump's favor. Should Clinton move forward with a recount and those theories prove correct, that will move crucial states to Clinton's favor. More on why this is important here: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/11/activists-urge-hillary-clinton-to-challenge-election-results.html
- It is arguable that Hillary is one of the most experienced and most qualified people to ever run for the office of president. Here is an in depth analysis of how people have come to that conclusion: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/14/is-hillary-clinton-the-most-experienced-presidential-candidate-in-history/
- This is the first year since 1965 that the full protections of the Voting Rights Act have not been in effect.
- Russia hacked the DNC servers and there is strong evidence to suggest that they swayed the election.
- There are over 300 documented cases of hate crimes since Trump was named President-Elect. You can find a sampling of these, with photos, here: https://twitter.com/i/moments/796417517157830656
- As the "melting pot," the US should be safe for all people. That includes black people, brown people, native people, Muslim people, Jewish people, immigrants, the LGBTQ community, the disabled community, women, and anyone who Trump has spoken against to threaten and demean.
- Trump is filing his Cabinet with noted white supremacists, who will work to hurt the non-white people in this country, including citizens.
- In addition to the well-documented problems with Bannon's anti-semitism, Jeff Sessions was my senator in Alabama for the 25 years I lived there and saw him actively orchestrate voter suppression in Alabama's Black Belt, one of the poorest parts of the state. You can read more on that and other concerns about Sessions here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/11/18/black-belt-voter-fraud-case-alabama-shaped-sen-jeff-sessions-career/94088186/
- As you're aware, Alexander Hamilton designed the electoral college to keep charismatic, unqualified demagogues like Trump out.
I beg of you to consider the facts before you and vote with your conscience. We the people have entrusted you to protect us and we have never needed your protection more than right now. Article 2 of the 12th amendment of the United States Constitution gives you the right to vote with your conscience, which I and your fellow citizens are counting on you to do.
Thank you for your time and consideration, I appreciate and respect the role you serve in our electoral process.
If you'd like to write a letter to the Electoral College, you can do so at http://asktheelectors.org/
You can also learn more about Hamilton Electors aka faithless electors at http://www.hamiltonelectors.com/